Spotting Crashed Application

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue May 15 20:55:47 EDT 2007

Robert Rawlins - Think Blue wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>

> I’ve got an application that I’ve written, and it sits in an embedded
> system, from time to time the application will crash, I’m not quite sure
> what’s causing this, but as we test it more and more we’ll grasp a
> better understanding and fix the issues.
>

> However, until then I need a quick solution which can spot the crash and
> reboot the system. Is there any generic way of writing a separate
> application that’ll spot the crash in my main application? If not then i
> was thinking about having my core application log itself as ‘alive’
> every 5 minutes or so. My new ‘spotter’ application can check this log,
> if it’s not been written too in say 6 minutes then the main app must
> have crashed, and it can reboot.
>

> Any suggestions on how best to handle this? Obviously finding the bug in
> my main app is paramount, but a failsafe will never hurt.

I don't know of any pre-written functionality, but I'd recommend using a
  UDP socket for this. Let your application send a packet (say) every 30
seconds and have the monitoring application restart it if it doesn't
hear a packet for 90 seconds.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119