HTML Form/Page and Navigation with multiple buttons

mosscliffe mcl.office at googlemail.com
Thu May 31 09:22:30 EDT 2007

I am struggling to find a python example of the scenario - I have.

I have a python script, which generates a page with a search button
(actually an input field).

The data from the above submissions is interrogated and the same
script produces a new search option and the a page of results from the
previous search request.  -  as done by Google's Main search page.

The user then has the option of  a new search or navigating to a
different page of results with the usual Start, Previous, Next and
Last Buttons.

How can I identify which button has been pressed.  Do I need a
separate form for each button and hide all the relevant session fields
in each form or is there a way of identifying which button has been
pressed on the page.

I only want to use the same python script, which is called each time.
No javascript and no cookies.

I have a very skimpy knowledge of Forms, Get and Post - so be gentle
with me.

I have got CGI  and FieldStorage to work.

Any help or suitable introductory site information appreciated.

Richard