PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

René Fleschenberg rene at korteklippe.de
Wed May 16 08:35:28 EDT 2007

You have misread my statements.

Carsten Haese schrieb:
> There is evidence against your assertions that knowing some English is a
> prerequisite for programming

I think it is a prerequesite for "real" programming. Yes, I can imagine
that if you use Python as a teaching tool for Chinese 12 year-olds, then
it might be nice to be able to spell identifiers with Chinese
characters. However, IMO this is such a special use-case that it is
justified to require the people who need this to explicitly enable it,
by using a patched interpreter or by enabling an interpreter option for
example.

> in Python and that people won't use non-ASCII
> identifiers if they could.

I did not assert that at all, where did you get the impression that I
do? If I were convinced that noone would use it, I would have not such a
big problem with it. I fear that it *will* be used "in the wild" if the
PEP in its current form is accepted and that I personally *will* have to
deal with such code.

--
René