installing cx_Oracle.

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Thu May 24 13:35:35 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 16:15 +0000, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2007 09:07:07 -0500, Carl K <carl at personnelware.com>
>
> > Getting closer, thanks Bill and Diez.
> >
> > $ export ORACLE_HOME
> > $ ORACLE_HOME=/usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/client
>
> 	Don't those lines need to be reversed? Set the variable in the
> current shell, and /then/ export it?

It also works the other way around, at least on the non-empty set of
systems that contains my workstation. export simply marks the variable
name for automatic export to the environment of subsequent commands. The
value at that time doesn't matter. What matters is the value that the
name has at the time the command is run:

[carsten at dot ~]$ export FOOD
[carsten at dot ~]$ FOOD=spam
[carsten at dot ~]$ python -c "import os; print os.environ['FOOD']"
spam
[carsten at dot ~]$ FOOD=eggs
[carsten at dot ~]$ python -c "import os; print os.environ['FOOD']"
eggs

Regards,

--
Carsten Haese