pipe tutorial

Walter Bumes g_bumes at web.de
Tue May 22 14:22:04 EDT 2007

Larry Bates schrieb:
> Gabriel Genellina wrote:
>> En Tue, 22 May 2007 11:11:45 -0300, Larry Bates
>> <larry.bates at websafe.com> escribió:

>>> Pipes is specific only to Windows (you can use sockets
>>> on Windows/Linux/mac).  The only specific treatment of
>>> pipes I've seen is in Python Programming for Win32 by
>>> Mark Hammond/Andy Robinson.
>> There are pipes in Unix too, named and anonymous, and I think they
>> predate its introduction in Windows (first on NT4 I believe). "Pipes"
>> used to redirect standard input/output are certainly much older.
>> To the OP: what do you want to do, exactly?
>>
>> --Gabriel Genellina
>>
> You are right.  I didn't think about piping of commands since that
> wouldn't really be a Python question.  I thought user wanted pipes
> for interprocess communication that is prevalent in Windows.  I
> guess the OP can chime in and we can answer the question better.
>
> -Larry
Hello Larry,
i have programmed pipes with Windows NT for about 8-9 years ago and have
  made an update of the program two years ago under Windows XP. There
are differences in the security settings. Under XP it's not allowed to
connect to the pc by network! You have to set security options when you
create the pipe on the local machine to allow external access to the pipe.

Afterwards, i would prefer a standard TCP or UDP connection, because
it's available on every system and i do not see any advantage for using
the pipes.

In actual projects i use only TCP or UDP - depending what i have to to.

Walter