PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

René Fleschenberg rene at korteklippe.de
Tue May 15 08:08:34 EDT 2007

Stefan Behnel schrieb:
>> I think your argument about "isolated projects" is flawed. It is not at
>> all unusual for code that was never intended to be public, whose authors
>> would have sworn that it will never ever be need to read by anyone
>> except themselves, to surprisingly go public at some point in the future.
>
> Ok, but how is "using non-ASCII identifiers" different from "using mandarin
> tranliterated ASCII identifiers" in that case?

1) Transliterated ASCII identifiers do not have problems such as not
displaying at all and not being easily possible to type.

2) I consider transliterated ASCII identifiers a bad idea, but it is
virtually impossible to prohibit them at the language level.

> Please try to understand what the point of this PEP is.

Please try to understand that the fact that certain bad practices are
possible today is no valid argument for introducing support for more of
them!

--
René