PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Stefan Behnel stefan.behnel-n05pAM at web.de
Tue May 15 09:57:32 EDT 2007

George Sakkis wrote:
> After 175 replies (and counting), the only thing that is clear is the
> controversy around this PEP. Most people are very strong for or
> against it, with little middle ground in between. I'm not saying that
> every change must meet 100% acceptance, but here there is definitely a
> strong opposition to it. Accepting this PEP would upset lots of people
> as it seems, and it's interesting that quite a few are not even native
> english speakers.

But the positions are clear, I think.

Open-Source people are against it, as they expect hassle with people sending
in code or code being lost as it can't go public as-is.

Teachers are for it as they see the advantage of having children express
concepts in their native language.

In-house developers are rather for this PEP as they see the advantage of
expressing concepts in the way the "non-techies" talk about it.

That's about all I could extract as arguments.

To me, this sounds pretty much like something people and projects could handle
on their own once the PEP is accepted.

Stefan