re.compile for names

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon May 21 17:59:42 EDT 2007

On 22/05/2007 12:09 AM, brad wrote:
> Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch wrote:
>
>> What about names with letters not in the ASCII range?
>
> Like Asian names? The names we encounter are spelled out in English...
> like Xu, Zu, Li-Cheng, Matsumoto, Wantanabee, etc.

"spelled out in English"? "English" has nothing to do with it.

The first 3 are Chinese, spelled using the Pinyin system, which happens
to use "Roman" letters [including non-ASCII ü]. They may appear adorned
with tone marks [not ASCII] or tone digits. The 4th and 5th [which is
presumably intended to be "Watanabe"] are Japanese, using the Romaji
system, which ... you guess the rest :-)

Cheers,
John