Is wsgi ready for prime time?

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Thu May 17 14:32:08 EDT 2007

On May 17, 8:09 pm, Ron Garret <rNOSPA... at flownet.com> wrote:
> The wsgiref module in Python 2.5 seems to be empty:
>
> [ron at mickey:~/Sites/modpy]$ python
> Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Mar  1 2007, 10:09:05)
> [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5367)] on darwin
> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.>>> import wsgiref
>
> ['__builtins__', '__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '__path__']
>

> So... is wsgi considered ready for production use, or is it still on the
> bleeding edge?  And if the former, which implementation should one use?
>
> rg

Try help(wsgiref).

I would say that WSGI (the spec) is ready for production use whereas
wsgiref
(the implementation in the standard library) is intended for easy
development
and testing purposes, not for industrial strenght deployement. On the
other hand Zope 3 uses Twisted via WSGI as a business class server,
and I hear that mod_wsgi is slightly more performant than mod_python,
so those are the first options I would consider. But you could post on
the WSGI list for more.

   Michele Simionato