PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

René Fleschenberg rene at korteklippe.de
Tue May 15 07:54:56 EDT 2007

Stefan Behnel schrieb:
> René Fleschenberg wrote:
>> Programming is such an English-dominated culture that I even "think" in
>> English about it.
>
> That's sad.

I don't think so. It enables me to communicate about that topic with a
very broad range of other people, which is A Good Thing.

>> My experience is: If you know so little "technical" English that you
>> cannot come up with well chosen English identifiers, you need to learn
>> it.
>
> :) This is not about "technical" English, this is about domain specific
> English. How big is your knowledge about, say, biological terms or banking
> terms in English? Would you say you're capable of modelling an application
> from the domain of biology, well specified in a large German document, in
> perfect English terms?

As I have said, I don't need to be able to do that (model the
application in perfect English terms). It is better to model it in
non-perfect English terms than to model it in perfect German terms. Yes,
I do sometimes use a dictionary to look up the correct English term for
a domain-specific German word when programming. It is rarely necessary,
but when it is, I usually prefer to take that effort over writing a
mixture of German and English.

> And: why would you want to do that?

1) To get the broadest possible range of coworkers and maintenance
programmers.

2) To be consistent. The code is more beautiful if it does not
continously jump from one language to another. And the only way to
achieve that is to write it all in English, since the standard library
and alot of other stuff is in English.

--
René