What is deployment?

Maria R Maria.Reinhammar at accalon.com
Mon May 21 01:43:10 EDT 2007

On May 20, 7:28 am, Paul Rubin <http://phr...@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
> Ben Finney <bignose+hates-s... at benfinney.id.au> writes:
> > Agreed. I usually discuss "deployment" as meaning "everything required
> > to take something from the point of working in a vendor's lab
> > environment, to an actual working installation in a production
> > environment".
>
> I'd go beyond that.  It includes putting the people and procedures in
> place for keeping the production system operating, upgrading it as
> needed, customer support, the whole bit.  It's all the stuff that
> happens on the other side of the line separating "development" from
> "operations".

I would suggest a somewhat more limited view.
That is, deployment is the process after development is finished (or
the product system is purchased) up until it is in full operation
(including establishing support organisation etc).
The exact point of time is, of course, not very clear cut.
Upgrading the product, adding more users, extending the use etc. is
not, as I see it, *deployment*.
But then again, one could say that an upgrade is deployed. However, I
prefer to view that as a separate project with its own process.