Anyone else has seen "forrtl: error (200) ..."

Jason tenax.raccoon at gmail.com
Wed May 30 12:16:18 EDT 2007

On May 30, 9:33 am, Alexander Eisenhuth <newsu... at stacom-software.de>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ctrl+C is not passed to the interpreter (i guess it) while I'm executing a
> script. Instead i get:
> forrtl: error (200): program aborting due to control-C event
>
> If I start python in interactive mode Ctrl+C is passed:
>
> bash-3.2$ python
> Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Sep 19 2006, 09:52:17) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win
> 32
>  >>> raw_input()
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> KeyboardInterrupt
>  >>>

> Any idea ?
>
> Thanks
> Alexander

Forrtl indicates that your script is running a Fortran library or
program.  Remember that Python exceptions only apply during Python.
If a Fortran DLL performs a divide-by-zero error, or accesses invalid
memory, it will kill the interpreter instead of throwing a Python
exception.  With Compaq Visual Fortran, the Fortran library calls can
kill your entire program if a function receives an invalid value.
(Try raising a negative real number to a fractional exponent, for
example.)

I'd guess that the Fortran code is intercepting the CTRL-C signal and
killing the running script.

Without knowing anything about your script and the library calls it
makes, I can't give you much advice.  There may be little that you can
do, especially if you don't have the Fortran source code in question
and/or can't recompile it.  Maybe someone with some Fortran/Python
experience can assist you.

  --Jason