zipfile [module and file format, both] stupidly broken

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun May 20 11:36:18 EDT 2007

Thorsten Kampe wrote:

> Don't be silly. Where would you look for the URL to report bugs? On
> the website of the project, of course. It's not that easy to find on
> python.org (although not as hard as Martin says):
>
> Core Development > Links for Developers > Bug Manager or

This is the "in crowd" route.

> About > Help > Got a Python problem or question? > Python Bug Tracker

And this is the "it's not my fault, it's yours" route.

> Both ways are kind of misleading (or non-intuitive) as you do not want
> to engage in Core Development to report a bug. Lots of good projects
> have a prominent link on their website (start page) how to report
> bugs. Python hasn't.

Indeed. The big problem with python.org in its current form is the
navigation, as I have complained about already. Unfortunately, I never
did get round to tooling up with the python.org toolchain because it
involved installing large numbers of packages, including some directly
from a Subversion repository, along with a few which actually
conflicted with others on my system, and I wasn't about to start
either uninstalling lots of things or messing around with environment
settings just to throw it all together and make the tentative edits
necessary to reduce the above "beware of the leopard" syndrome. The
"last straw" was picking through Twisted 2 installation details for
the benefit of a solution which apparently doesn't even use Twisted in
any reasonable sense.

Meanwhile, the Wiki (that's Documentation > Wiki) just keeps getting
better. A "best of" edition of that particular resource (with simple
approval mechanisms) might prove more accessible and more likely to
get improved by the community.

Paul

P.S. I still respect the work done on the python.org visuals - I think
they have mostly stood the test of time. And I don't envy anyone who
had the task of going through python.org and reorganising all the
pieces of content to still link to each other properly and look the
same as everything else.