Trying to choose between python and java

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Tue May 15 13:21:38 EDT 2007

On May 15, 7:30 am, Anthony Irwin <nos... at noemailhere.nowhere> wrote:

> #1 Does python have something like javas .jar packages.

Yes. .egg files.

> #2 What database do people recommend for using with python that is
> easy to distribute across linux, mac, windows.

Depends on your needs:

1. Berkely DB - not relational, zero administration, very fast
(bundled with Python).
2. SQLite  -  zero administration, quite fast (bundled with Python).
3. MySQL - relational database server, fast, GPL
4. Oracle - relational database server, sluggish, commercial

> #3 Is there any equivalent to jfreechart and jfreereport
> (http://www.jfree.orgfor details) in python.

Yes.

reportlab
matplotlib

> #4 If I write a program a test it with python-wxgtk2.6 under linux are
> the program windows likely to look right under windows and mac?

Yes.

But you should test anyway.

> #5 someone said that they used to use python but stopped because the
> language changed or made stuff depreciated

Python is no worse than Java with respect to that.