A Few More Forrester Survey Questions

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Fri May 18 11:22:07 EDT 2007

I'm down to the wire here on answering the Forrester survey but am stumped on
a few questions I hope someone can help me out with.

1) What -existing- examples of the use of Python to create social
   web applications are there?  These include chat, collaboration,
   forum boards, and editable content pages, RSS feeds.

   I know I use a lot of these, but under pressure I'm not coming
   up with a lot of names.  Can you throw a few my way?

2) How easy is it to install an application written in the language?
   How is the application deployed?

   I'm having some trouble understanding the difference between
   "deployment" and "installation".  I suspect those words may
   have a special meaning to Java developers (who designed the survey)
   or to Big Corporate IT developers.  Ideas?

   I can tell the story of distutils, python eggs and PyPI, and py2exe
   and py2mumble for the Mac -- is there more to the story than that?

3) What is the value of the language to developers?

   Yeah, a very common, slippery question.  Toss me some good
   explanations of why  -you- value Python.  Readable, free,
   cross-platform, powerful.  What else?  I'll synthesize
   something out of everyone's answers.

Thanks for any one-line answers you can dash off to me today.

Jeff Rush
Python Advocacy Coordinator