Installing Python in a path that contains a blank

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Mon May 21 09:30:12 EDT 2007

I am trying to install Python from sources in my home directory on a
Mac cluster (running MacOS X 10.4.8). The path to my home directory
contains a blank, and since the installation procedure insists on
getting an absolute path for the prefix, I cannot avoid installing to
a path whose name contains a blank. Python does not seem to be
prepared for this, as it uses only the part before the blank,
resulting in numerous error messages.

Does anyone know a workaround?

Thanks,
   Konrad.