PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

René Fleschenberg rene at korteklippe.de
Tue May 15 08:15:41 EDT 2007

Stefan Behnel schrieb:
>> 1) Which additional potential for bugs and which hindrances for
>> code-sharing do you see with the with-statement?
>
> I'm not sufficiently used to it to understand it immediately when I read it.

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0343/
It is not that hard to grasp.

> So I would have to look deeper into patches that use it, for example, and
> couldn't accept them at first look. Plus, some editors do not highlight it as
> a Python keyword. So it should have been rejected.

Support for highlighting that is easily added, contrary to support for
displaying all possible Unicode glyphs, let alone typing them in easily.

>> 2) The with-statement does have proven substantial benefits, IMO.
>
> Not to me. I don't use it, so no-one should.

Now you are starting to troll?

> And since it does not make sense
> in public projects, it should also be forbidden in in-house projects.

It does make alot of sense in public projects, since it actually *does*
make the code clearer. A programmer who does not understand it at first
can easily find and understand its documentation. The same is *not* true
for things like Kanji glyphs and the like.

--
René