Is PEP-8 a Code or More of a Guideline?

Charles Sanders C.delete_this.Sanders at BoM.GOv.AU
Wed May 30 23:06:53 EDT 2007

Dave Hansen wrote:

> The date is about right (actually, a little early: ASR-33, 1965; C,
> about 1970), but you can't program C on an ASR-33.  Keywords are all
> lower case, and always have been.  "IF" is a syntax error...

	But the Unix terminal drivers of the day for
upper case only terminals translated to lower case and
you had to enter \A to get an upper case A, and so on.

	Still hangs around in the stty options iuclc,
-iuclc, olcuc and -olcuc - You can make an x-term window
look like an old upper case only terminal.

	I don't know if any still do it, but old unices
used to detect on logon if you typed your user name and
password in all caps and then turned on the iuclc and
olcuc options, assuming that the reason for the all caps
was a upper case only terminal - great fun if you hit caps
lock by accident.

Charles