What is deployment?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Sun May 20 00:27:52 EDT 2007

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

> claird at lairds.us (Cameron Laird) writes:
> > all those things that happen after narrow-sense installation are
> > still part of "deployment".
>
> Deployment also refers to pre-installation issues, like buying the
> hardware that you're going to install on.

Agreed. I usually discuss "deployment" as meaning "everything required
to take something from the point of working in a vendor's lab
environment, to an actual working installation in a production
environment".

--
 \       "Sunday School: A prison in which children do penance for the |
  `\           evil conscience of their parents."  -- Henry L. Mencken |