PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Aldo Cortesi aldo at nullcube.com
Mon May 14 01:19:36 EDT 2007

Thus spake Steven D'Aprano (steven at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au):

> If you're relying on cursory visual inspection to recognize harmful code,
> you're already vulnerable to trojans.

What a daft thing to say. How do YOU recognize harmful code in a patch
submission? Perhaps you blindly apply patches, and then run your test suite on
a quarantined system, with an instrumented operating system to allow you to
trace process execution, and then perform a few weeks worth of analysis on the
data?

Me, I try to understand a patch by reading it. Call me old-fashioned.

> Code exchange regardless of human language is a nice principle, but it
> doesn't work in practice.

And this is clearly bunk. I have come accross code with transliterated
identifiers and comments in a different language, and while understanding was
hampered it wasn't impossible.

> That's no different from typos in ASCII. There's no doubt that we'll give
> the same answer we've always given for this problem: unit tests, pylint
> and pychecker.

A typo that can't be detected visually is fundamentally different problem from
an ASCII typo, as many people in this thread have pointed out.

Regards,

Aldo

--
Aldo Cortesi