Installing Python in a path that contains a blank

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon May 21 18:25:53 EDT 2007

On 21/05/2007 11:30 PM, Konrad Hinsen wrote:
> I am trying to install Python from sources in my home directory on a Mac
> cluster (running MacOS X 10.4.8). The path to my home directory contains
> a blank, and since the installation procedure insists on getting an
> absolute path for the prefix, I cannot avoid installing to a path whose
> name contains a blank. Python does not seem to be prepared for this, as
> it uses only the part before the blank, resulting in numerous error
> messages.
>
> Does anyone know a workaround?

On Windows, the workaround for pesky paths (i.e. containing blanks or
just inconveniently long) is the subst command:

command-prompt>subst X: "C:\Documents and Settings"

Thereafter X:\foo can be used wherever "C:\Documents and Settings\foo"
would otherwise be required.

Is there not a similar trick on MacOS X?

HTH,
John