Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Apr 30)

Alex Martelli aleax at mac.com
Wed May 2 01:03:07 EDT 2007

Neil Hodgson <nyamatongwe+thunder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Cameron Laird:
>
> > ... but the *references* in that object are unlikely to be
> > meaningful on the second machine (or, in many cases, on the
> > original machine, if at a sufficiently later time).
>
>     The marshaling of the object is responsible for persisting any
> contained references in a format that can be revivified on the second
> machine. Sometimes these are references to 'short lived' objects in the
> original process, in which case they should have been addrefed which
> will also lock the process alive. Other times they may be monikers to
> stable objects which can be reloaded.

Excellent brief summary.

If one COM object in ten implemented marshaling correctly, I might still
be a "Windows guru" instead of having run away screaming years ago
(which played out all right careerwise, actually:-).

Everybody needs to read Don Box's "Essential COM", btw; if one author of
COM code in ten had read and understood it, etc, etc.

Alex