itertools.groupby

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Sun May 27 14:31:31 EDT 2007

--- Steve Howell <showell30 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- 7stud <bbxx789_05ss at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Bejeezus.  The description of groupby in the docs
> is
> > a poster child
> > for why the docs need user comments.

Regarding the pitfalls of groupby in general (even
assuming we had better documentation), I invite people
to view the following posting that I made on
python-ideas, entitled "SQL-like way to manipulate
Python data structures":

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2007-May/000807.html

In the thread, I don't really make a proposal, so much
as a problem statement, but my radical idea is that
lists of dictionaries fit the relational model
perfectly, so why not allow some kind of native SQL
syntax in Python that allows you to manipulate those
data structures more naturally?