PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Eric Brunel eric.brunel at pragmadev.com
Tue May 15 08:49:55 EDT 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007 14:14:33 +0200, Stefan Behnel
<stefan.behnel-n05pAM at web.de> wrote:
> René Fleschenberg wrote:
>> Please try to understand that the fact that certain bad practices are
>> possible today is no valid argument for introducing support for more of
>> them!
>
> You're not trying to suggest that writing code in a closed area project
> is a
> bad habit, are you?

In the world we live in today, a "closed area project" is something that
tends to disappear. One never knows if the code can be made public
someday, or be outsourced to a country with a different language and
default encoding.

(Now that I think of it, this *is* a valid reason to accept this PEP:
"Sorry, boss, but we can't possibly fire all our development team and
outsource the project to Russia: all the identifiers are in French and
they won't be able to make any sense of it" ;-) )
'U(17zX(%,5.zmz5(17l8(%,5.Z*(93-965$l7+-'])"