installing cx_Oracle.

Bill Scherer bill.scherer at verizonwireless.com
Thu May 24 09:01:53 EDT 2007

Carl K wrote:
> I am trying to use this:
> http://python.net/crew/atuining/cx_Oracle/html/cx_Oracle.html
> it is a real module, right?

It is indeed.
> sudo easy_install cx_Oracle did not easy_install cx_Oracle.
>
> http://www.python.org/pypi/cx_Oracle/4.3.1 doesn't give me any clue.
>
> I got the source from
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cx-oracle/cx_Oracle-4.3.1.tar.gz?download
>
> carl at dell17:~/a/cx_Oracle-4.3.1$ python setup.py build
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "setup.py", line 36, in ?
>      oracleHome = os.environ["ORACLE_HOME"]
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/UserDict.py", line 17, in __getitem__
>      def __getitem__(self, key): return self.data[key]
> KeyError: 'ORACLE_HOME'

You have an oracle client installed, right? If not, go get an Instant
Client:

http://www.*oracle*.com/technology/software/tech/oci/*instant**client*/index.html

Then you need to set an environment variable, ORACLE_HOME, to point to
the root of the oracle client installation so that the cx_Oracle
installer can find the oracle libraries to build with.