Wanted: a python24 package for Python 2.3

Jonathan Fine jfine at pytex.org
Tue Mar 20 11:33:10 EDT 2007

Hello

My problem is that I want a Python 2.4 module on
a server that is running Python 2.3.  I definitely
want to use the 2.4 module, and I don't want to
require the server to move to Python 2.4.

More exactly, I am using subprocess, which is
new in Python 2.4.  What I am writing is something
like
===
from subprocess import Popen
===

This will fail in Python 2.3, in which case I
would like to write something like
===
try:
     from subprocess import Popen
else ImportError:
     from somewhere_else import Popen
===

Put this way, it is clear (to me) that somewhere_else
should be python24.

In other words, I'm asking for a python24 package that
contains all (or most) of the modules that are new to
Python 2.4.

I've looked around a bit, and it seems that this
formulation of the solution is new.  I wonder if
anyone else has encountered this problem, or has
comments on my solution.

--
Jonathan