Anyone know of a MICR parser algorithm written in Python?

Paul McGuire ptmcg at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 25 02:30:50 EDT 2007

On Mar 24, 6:52 pm, "mkppk" <barnaclej... at gmail.com> wrote:

> Its just that I would rather not reinvent the wheel (or read old C
> code)..

Wouldn't we all!

Here is the basic structure of a pyparsing solution.  The parsing part
isn't so bad - the real problem is the awful ParseONUS routine in C.
Plus things are awkward since the C program parses right-to-left and
then reverses all of the found fields, and the parser I wrote works
left-to-right.  Still, this grammar does most of the job.  I've left
out my port of ParseONUS since it is *so* ugly, and not really part of
the pyparsing example.

-- Paul

from pyparsing import *

# define values for optional fields
NoAmountGiven  = ""
NoEPCGiven     = ""
NoAuxOnusGiven = ""

# define delimiters
DOLLAR = Suppress("$")
T_ = Suppress("T")
A_ = Suppress("A")

# field definitions
amt = DOLLAR + Word(nums,exact=10) + DOLLAR
onus = Word("0123456789A- ")
transit = T_ + Word("0123456789-") + T_
epc = oneOf( list(nums) )
aux_onus = A_ + Word("0123456789- ") + A_

# validation parse action
def validateTransitNumber(t):
    transit = t[0]
    flds = transit.split("-")
    if len(flds) > 2:
        raise ParseException(0, "too many dashes in transit number",
0)
    if len(flds) == 2:
        if len(flds[0]) not in (3,4):
            raise ParseException(0, "invalid dash position in transit
number", 0)
    else:
        # compute checksum
        ti = map(int,transit)
        ti.reverse() # original algorithm worked with reversed data
        cksum = 3*(ti[8]+ti[5]+ti[2]) + 7*(ti[7]+ti[4]+ti[1]) +
ti[6]+ti[3]+ti[0]
        if cksum%10 != 0:
            raise ParseException(0, "transit number failed checksum",
0)
    return transit

# define overall MICR format, with results names
micrdata =
Optional(aux_onus,default=NoAuxOnusGiven).setResultsName("aux_onus") +
\
            Optional(epc,default=NoEPCGiven).setResultsName("epc") +\

transit.setParseAction(validateTransitNumber).setResultsName("transit")
+ \
            onus.setResultsName("onus") + \
            Optional(amt,default=NoAmountGiven).setResultsName("amt")
+ \
            stringEnd

import re

def parseONUS(tokens):
    tokens["csn"] = ""
    tokens["tpc"] = ""
    tokens["account"] = ""
    tokens["amt"] = tokens["amt"][0]
    onus = tokens.onus
    # remainder omitted out of respect for newsreaders...
    # suffice to say that unspeakable acts are performed on
    # onus and aux_onus fields to extract account and
    # check numbers

micrdata.setParseAction(parseONUS)

testdata = file("checks.csv").readlines()[1:]
tests = [(flds[1],flds) for flds in map(lambda
l:l.split(","),testdata)]
def verifyResults(res,csv):
    def match(x,y):
        print (x==y and "_" or "X"),x,"=",y

Ex,MICR,Bank,Stat,Amt,AS,TPC,TS,CSN,CS,ACCT,AS,EPC,ES,ONUS,OS,AUX,AS,Tran,TS
= csv
    match(res.amt,Amt)
    match(res.account,ACCT)
    match(res.csn,CSN)
    match(res.onus,ONUS)
    match(res.tpc,TPC)
    match(res.epc,EPC)
    match(res.transit,Tran)

for t,data in tests:
    print t
    try:
        res = micrdata.parseString(t)
        print res.dump()
        if not(data[0] == "No"):
            print "Passed expression that should have failed"
        verifyResults(res,data)
    except ParseException,pe:
        print "<parse failed> %s" % pe.msg
        if not(data[0] == "Yes"):
            print "Failed expression that should have passed"
    print