minimum age to learn python (a.k.a graphical vs text languages)

Paddy paddy3118 at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 11 03:52:48 EDT 2007

On Mar 10, 3:33 pm, Brian Blais <bbl... at bryant.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering what the approximate minimum age to learn python is.
<SNIP>>

> I wanted to hear responses from people who have experience teaching programming in
> elementary/middle (or even high) school.  Do graphical languages make a big
> difference?  Do text-based languages put up barriers to young learners?  Is it no big
> deal either way?
>
>                 thanks,
>
>                         Brian Blais

My two year old son is well on the way to becoming a great
programmer ;-)
He is learning to use the mouse and can navigate his way through the
menus to
the games and songs he likes when left on the cbeebies home page at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/ and is currently trying to get
coordinated
enough to play a tobogganing game.
Teaching method used was to spend too much time yourself on the laptop
with
son in lap watching Hi-5 or a Wombles video, on screen-2.

Currently Dominic and I are potty training. After that we'll start on
decorators and maybe weakref.

- Paddy.