httplib/socket problems reading 404 Not Found response

Patrick Altman paltman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 11:47:48 EDT 2007

On Mar 13, 3:16 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar>
wrote:
> En Tue, 13 Mar 2007 10:38:24 -0300, Patrick Altman <palt... at gmail.com>
> escribió:
>
> >> Yes, it's a known problem. See this message with a
> >> self-response:http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2006-March/375087.html
> > Are there plans to include this fix in the standard Python libraries
> > or must I make the modifications myself (I'm running Python 2.5)?
>
> Submit a bug report, if not already done.http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470
>
> --
> Gabriel Genellina

Bug already exists at:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1486335&group_id=5470&atid=105470

In the meantime, I implemented a work around for my specific case in
the Amazon S3 library in that I implemented a head() method but am
actually just requesting a GET operation with a very small byte
range.  This is essentially yielding all the same header data that I
need (md5 hash in the ETag if the file exists, 404 Not Found if it
doesn't).