New to Python

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Mon Mar 5 13:51:59 EST 2007

dnwurtz at gmail.com wrote:

> I am trying to get a program to add up input from the user to get
> to the number 100 using a loop.  However, I am having some issues.

Please, if you have a problem post the exact error symptoms.

> Here is what I have so far.  I know I am just trying to hard, but
> I am stuck.  Thank you for any help.

We can't tell by magic where you are stuck. Please state observed
and expected behaviour.

> print "We need to count to 100"
>
> high_number = 100
> total = 0
>
> number = input("Enter your first number ")

(already mentioned: please don't use input)

> sum = number + total

This is a one-time assignment.

> while sum < high_number:
>     print "Not there yet..."
>     number = input("Enter another number ")
>
> print "We are there!!!"

"We" won't reach this point since the while condition never becomes
False. See above; "sum" is assigned just one time and will not
change in your while loop. Having the program work as probably
expected requires a "sum += number" inside the while loop.

BTW, what's "total" expected to do? It's also assigned only one
time.

Regards,

Björn

--