Real Time Embedded Systems Monitor in Python?

frikk frikker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 09:22:42 EDT 2007

Hey Everyone!
I've got a question regarding the capabilities of python in a real
time environment. I'll start by saying I'm a little bit flaky when it
comes to terminology, so please correct me or ask where it seems I'm
not beings specific or using the wrong wording.

I am looking into a project for the company I work for.  Essentially
it involves setting up a real time monitor / signal injector in
between a CPU board and a system controller.  The system controller
sends signals (message packets) to the CPU board.  We would like to
create an environment where we can modify signals, inject new
messages, drop signals, etc.  This would simulate communication
failures and message dropouts to see how the CPU board responds.  The
application monitor would use a COM port to send and receive
messages.  The most important part about this monitor is that
absolutely no messages get delayed or dropped due to inturrupts or lag
on the PC that the monitor is running on. What would be the expected
sampling time range that I could expect to handle?

I have seen similar applications written for other projects that we
have which were done in Visual Basic. I assume that if VB is up to the
task, Python should be as well.  What kind of libraries am I looking
at? I will probably use wxWindows, but what about for the serial ports
and packet timing?

Like I said - I'm not sure what kind of "real time" this is - all I
know is that I need messages to not get dropped when they're received.

Thanks!
Blaine Booher