PyPy for dummies

Damjan gdamjan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 20:10:00 EDT 2007

.. like me.

Ok, this is what I understood why PyPy is important.

Writing programing languages and implementations (compilers, interpreters,
JITs, etc) is hard. Not many people can do it from scratch and create
something comparable to what's available today. But we need people with new
aproaches, exploring new ideas (to boldly go where no hacker has gone
before).

Also, evolving the current Python language and implementation is not easy
either. As it becomes more complex, it's hard for newcomers to comprehend
it as a whole, and as it is still harder and harder to work on details
without understanding the whole.

What PyPy provides is, making this easier, thus allowing for:
*rapid turnaround* of language features and implementation details - this
enables easier experimentation and testing of wild ideas. Most of them will
fail of course, but some will succed and some will succed and suprise
(NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!).

So that's how I see PyPy ... at the same time an interesting - let's call
it - academic experiment, but also something very close to beeing usefull
at the level of the current CPython.

--
damjan