PyPy 1.0: JIT compilers for free and more

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Mar 28 09:12:35 EDT 2007

On 28 Mar, 14:12, "Kay Schluehr" <kay.schlu... at gmx.net> wrote:

> A somewhat unrelated question. With Py3K Python gets optional type
> annotations.

No, I believe the consensus is that Python 3000 gets optional
annotations which aren't specifically for type information... nudge
nudge, wink wink! That last part is important, because that's also how
many other people have interpreted this particular feature. I seem to
recall that some of the PyPy people weren't interested in static
analysis [1], so I'm skeptical about whether type annotations are
their kind of thing, either. That said, I imagine that the handling of
metadata (including type details) is an element in the way RPython
works, but I also imagine that things get more complicated as such
metadata diverges from plain type information and into arbitrary
"observations" about other aspects of program behaviour.

Still, I'd like to see the PyPy people stick their necks out and
answer your questions. ;-)

Paul

[1] http://codespeak.net/pipermail/pypy-dev/2007q1/003607.html