Removing Python 2.4.4 on OSX

Michael Bentley michael at jedimindworks.com
Sat Mar 24 22:18:03 EDT 2007

On Mar 24, 2007, at 12:30 PM, Robert Hicks wrote:
> I want to upgrade to 2.5 but I don't see any unistall instructions
> anywhere.

Don't uninstall it.

That's why Apple put python under /Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions.  So you can have multiple versions installed.

Hopefully you left Apple's default install of 2.3.5 unmolested as
well.  My best advise is to download the binaries from python.org and
install.  This gives you a nice universal framework build, compete
with readline support.

If you do elect to build it yourself, just make sure to read the Mac
specific documentation (which tells how to generate a framework
build).  Whichever route you take, /usr/local/bin/python and /Library/
Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python will point to
pyhon2.5.  Since you already have 2.4x I assume your path already
contains /usr/local/bin -- otherwise, you'll probably keep picking up
the default 2.3.5 in /usr/bin.

It looks like Stackless has a Mac binary install as well.  Does
anybody here know if I can install that on top of a stock 2.5 without
breaking things?

regards,
Michael

---
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
                                                   -Leonardo da Vinci