PythonCard thoughts

king kikapu aboudouvas at panafonet.gr
Mon Mar 19 08:08:29 EDT 2007

Hi to all folks here,

i downloaded and "playing" with PythonCard and i just want to share my
thoughts so maybe we can discuss a little about it.
I was used to wxGlade before and i think PythonCard is even better.
I like the separate implementation of GUI and Code that PythonCard
provides, i also like the "binding system" so you can bind functions
to events and have them executed at runtime.
I also like that it does not force you to use sizers and all that
stuff and that you can freely place your components on the form and
set their exact position just with the mouse.

The only "problem" i see with this design is that by that separation
of Gui/Code, you loose the intellisense that (ex. PyDev) some editors/
plugins can provide because in the .py file nothing is indicating
that , for example, the btnDoWork is a Button object.
This force you to remember many properties and switch back and forth
between your code and the wxPython help file. This is not the case for
wxGlade because all boilerplate code is in the same file (for good and
for bad) and PyDev (and others too) can "understand" for which kind of
objects we are talking about and so can display -and thus help us-
with their properties.

Apart from that, everything else is great.

Any opinions/suggestion on all this ?