number generator

Paul Rubin http
Fri Mar 9 09:51:22 EST 2007

"cesco" <fd.calabrese at gmail.com> writes:
> I have to generate a list of N random numbers (integer) whose sum is
> equal to M. If, for example, I have to generate 5 random numbers whose
> sum is 50 a possible solution could be [3, 11, 7, 22, 7]. Is there a
> simple pattern or function in Python to accomplish that?

Erm, yes, lots of ways, there are probably further constraints on the
problem, such as the size of the integers, how the lists are supposed
to be distributed, etc.  Can you be more specific?  Is this for an
application?  If it's a homework problem, that's fine, but it's better
in that case for respondents to suggest hints rather than full solutions.