merits of Lisp vs Python

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Thu Mar 8 00:24:17 EST 2007

Brian Adkins wrote:
> alex23 wrote:
>
>> John Nagle wrote:
>>
>>> Hosting providers and distro
>>> makers aren't concerned over whether Python works.  They
>>> care if C, C++, Java, PHP, and Perl work, but not Python or LISP.
>>> Ask them.
>>

>> Do you have any real experience with recent linux distros? Or with any
>> _real_ hosting providers?

    Do you?  You're writing from a gmail account, not your own site.

    I have four hosting accounts with EZpublishing and a dedicated server
at Aplus.net.  I spent weeks trying to find a hosting provider that
would provide a Python environment that "just works", like everyone
does for Perl.  What you typically get is a basic Python 2.4,
and a refusal to install more packages, because it's so time-consuming.
Or a quote of $50 to $150 per hour to install Python packages.

    There are a very few hosting providers that actually want to provide
Python hosting, such as Hard Hat Hosting.  But most don't.

>> Because what you've said is clearly not true. Just because the
>> situation isn't as easy _for you_ as you would like, doesn't mean that
>> Python is being ignored to the extent you're trying to claim.

    I don't see any evidence to back up this unsubstantiated claim.

				John Nagle