Python 2.5 incompatible with Fedora Core 6 - packaging problems again

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sat Mar 10 19:22:34 EST 2007

John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> writes:
[...]
> This kind of nonsense is why hosting companies don't want to support Python.

<snigger>  There seems a more obvious reason...

> Perl and PHP may be dumb, but they just work.  Java has a company behind it.
> Python just isn't ready.  Which is embarassing, ten years on.
[...]

I recall similar pain with Perl.  The one Perl list I still frequent
has regular postings about these kinds of problems (which are rarely
answered -- perhaps the maintainers have moved on).

My occasional Java experiences have been *far*, *far* worse in this
respect that what I've seen with either Perl or Python.

Does that tell you much?  Not really, and neither do your experiences.

John