Wikipedia and a little piece of Python History

Paul Rubin http
Wed Mar 21 21:13:11 EDT 2007

jjl at pobox.com (John J. Lee) writes:
> You've explained that *linking* to a non-permanent URL would break the
> rules.  You haven't explained why *pasting in* the text of the post
> would break the rules (I don't say it wouldn't break them, I'm just
> curious).

I've looked into this situation and I advise just not worrying about
it for now.  The link is likely to be restored pretty soon if it
hasn't been already.  If not, wait a day or two and then put it back.
It was removed along with a zillion other Usenet links because someone
got overzealous about spam reversion and turned an automatic script
loose that removed all such links indiscriminately, including a lot
that there wasn't anything wrong with.  There was a discussion on the
wiki about it, the person stopped the script, and is now (slowly)
undoing the script's removals.