Documentation for "str()" could use some adjustment - Unicode issue

Tue Mar 20 00:23:32 EDT 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:01:23 +0000, John Nagle wrote:

>> Hi John, I'm not at all an expert around here but my understanding of
>> the workflow is that bug reports should be submitted to the tracker at
>> sourceforge. There is no guarantee that they will be noticed there but
>> the chances there are much higher than for a message on the mailing
>> list. I just mention this because I've seen your mysqld, urllib and
>> other potentially important bug reports here with no action taken but
>> maybe submitting them to sourceforge would attract some developers.
>
>      More people read the mailing list than the bug reports, and
> Google indexes it, so it puts the problem on record.

"More people" is irrelevant. What matters is "the right people".

I believe Google also indexes bug reports. It depends whether the site
allows Google's spiders or not.

> If this problem
> were reported as a bug, there'd be denial that it was a problem, on
> the grounds that it will be fixed in a future version of Python.

I don't think so much it's denied as that the developers have decided
that fixing it isn't a valuable use of their time because there are more
important (or more interesting) problems that they could be fixing
instead, and it will go away on its own with Python 3.

>      This was addressed in PEP 349 (status "Deferred"), so it's
> a known problem that's being ignored.

Then stop ignoring it, and submit a fix!

If you personally don't have the time or expertise to fix the problem
yourself, pay somebody to do so. Who says Open Source isn't compatible
with capitalism?

--
Steven.