Project organization and import

Alex Martelli aleax at mac.com
Tue Mar 6 10:37:46 EST 2007

Martin Unsal <martinunsal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 10:06 pm, a... at mac.com (Alex Martelli) wrote:
> > My favorite way of working: add a test (or a limited set of tests) for
> > the new or changed feature, run it, check that it fails, change the
> > code, rerun the test, check that the test now runs, rerun all tests to
> > see that nothing broke, add and run more tests to make sure the new code
> > is excellently covered, rinse, repeat.  Occasionally, to ensure the code
> > stays clean, stop to refactor, rerunning tests as I go.
>
> From the way you describe your workflow, it sounds like you spend very
> little time working interactively in the interpreter. Is that the case
> or have I misunderstood?

I often do have an interpreter open in its own window, to help me find
out something or other, but you're correct that it isn't where I "work";
I want all tests to be automated and repeatable, after all, so they're
better written as their own scripts and run in the test-framework. I
used to use a lot of doctests (often produced by copy and paste from an
interactive interpreter session), but these days I lean more and more
towards unittest and derivatives thereof.

Sometimes, when I don't immediately understand why a test is failing
(or, at times, why it's unexpectedly succeeding _before_ I have
implemented the feature it's supposed to test!-), I stick a
pdb.set_trace() call at the right spot to "look around" (and find out
how to fix the test and/or the code) -- I used to use "print" a lot for
such exploration, but the interactive interpreter started by pdb is
often handier (I can look at as many pieces of data as I need to find
out about the problem).  I still prefer to run the test[s] within the
test framework, getting interactive only at the point where I want to
be, rather than running the tests from within pdb to "set breakpoints"
manually -- not a big deal either way, I guess.

Alex