Modules & positive surprises

Jan Danielsson jan.m.danielsson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 09:30:38 EDT 2007

Hello all,

<IMHO>

   Although I have encountered many modules that have impressed me with
regards to what they can actually do -- too be perfectly honest, it's
very rare that I become impressed by the _interfaces_ to the modules.

   Using a new module is normally, with my - admittedly - limited
experience, a pain. It's not just about reading the reference material,
and then just use it. You have to figure out how the developer who wrote
the module was thinking. Often there's a (more or less) natural way to
do things, and unfortunately that's not how module developers do it.
It's not a major issue to me personally, since the important part is
that the module can perform its function.

   But then there are a few modules that I just love to use, because
they are so "clean" from interface to function. Among them I can't help
mentioning optparse.

   Yesterday I found another module which I fell in love with: Python
Cryptography Toolkit (http://www.amk.ca/python/writing/pycrypt/).

   It's just so ... elegant, and functional.

</IMHO>

--
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson