setuptools and code.google.com (was Re: Signed zeros: is this a bug?)

Jorge Godoy jgodoy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 22:47:45 EDT 2007

aleax at mac.com (Alex Martelli) writes:

> I'm not familiar with setuptools, what exactly is it looking for?
>
> If it's looking for stuff to download it should start at
>
> http://code.google.com/p/gmpy/downloads/list
>
> (but what does it want -- the sources' zipfile, or some binary, and in
> what format and with what naming convention?) -- I'll be glad to edit
> the URL for gmpy at cheeseshop if some setuptools expert can explain
> these subtleties... thanks for pointing out that there's a problem
> btw!-)

Thanks for caring ;-)

It looks for several things: eggs (for the Python version it is being used),
zipfiles and tarballs (I dunno if it looks for more things).

If it finds, for example, gmpy-1.0.2-py2.4.egg it won't install here 'cause I
use Python 2.5 and then it will continue searching for gmpy-1.0.2-py2.5.egg or
an alternative format that can be used.  The last resort is the tarball / zip
with the sources so that the package can be rebuilt.

Probably other people that are more experienced with it can help more.  I'm
more an end user of it and I know the essential for my needs.

I just pointed out because setuptools helps a lot on obtaining a package and
installing it (even if there's some building needed before installing).

Sorry for not being able to help more.

With regards to the hyperlink, I believe that if the link on Pypi was to the
URL above it would be easier.  Another alternative is a link at the first
page.  And, of course, the last alternative is teaching setuptools how to work
with code.google.com -- if it doesn't already know -- as it learnt how to work
with SourceForge and its "random" mirrors.  I don't know how to write that
code, though.

Be seeing you,
--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy at gmail.com>