pop method question

Sat Mar 3 18:46:13 EST 2007

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 23:22:10 +0000, James Stroud wrote:

>> To my mind, having to supply a key to dict.pop makes it rather pointless.
>>

> I've used it in something like this and found it worthwhile:
>
> for akey in dict1:
>    if some_condition(akey):
>      dict2[akey] = dict2.pop(akey)

Surely that's a no-op? You pop the value, than add it back again.

Or do you mean dict2[akey] = dict1.pop(akey)?

If so, are you sure that works? When I try it, I get "RuntimeError:
dictionary changed size during iteration". You would need to take a copy
of the keys and iterate over that.

for key in dict1.keys():
    if some_condition(key):
        dict2[key] = dict1.pop(key)