Project organization and import

sjdevnull at yahoo.com sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 18:16:46 EST 2007

On Mar 6, 4:58 pm, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-s... at benfinney.id.au>
wrote:
> "Martin Unsal" <martinun... at gmail.com> writes:
> > I think you should be asking yourselves, "Did we all abandon reload()
> > because it is actually an inferior workflow, or just because it's
> > totally broken in Python?"
>
> I never "abandoned reload()", because it never even occurred to me to
> use the interpreter for developing the code that I know is going to
> end up in a file anyway. That's what my text editor is for.

It's most useful for debugging for me; I'll instantiate the objects of
a known bad test case, poke around, maybe put some more debugging code
into one of my classes and re-instantiate only those objects (but keep
the rest of the test objects as-is).

Even there I find that I'd rather use a scratch file in an editor to
set up the test cases and send a specified region to the interpreter
for the most part, only actually typing in the interpreter when I'm
poking at an object.  I'll often wind up wanting to pull part of the
test case out either to go into the production code or to set up a
permanent unit test.

Once I figure out what's going on, the production code definitely gets
edited in the text editor.

Even though I use the interactive interpreter every day, though, I
haven't noticed reload being a major issue.