multithreading concept

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Mar 8 06:17:47 EST 2007

On 8 Mar, 10:48, Bryan Olson <fakeaddr... at nowhere.org> wrote:

> That doesn't really work in Python. There have been projects to
> allow Pythonic coordination of processes -- POSH had some good
> ideas -- but none have reached fruition.

What makes all of the following not "Pythonic"...?

http://wiki.python.org/moin/ParallelProcessing

Things like the CSP paradigm have sort of made their way into the
Python language itself, via enhancements to the yield keyword, which
has the dubious distinction of being a keyword which appears to return
a value. I'm sure one could define "Pythonic" as being "you can write
code like you do now (but not like any of the ways encouraged by the
aforementioned solutions) and it just works over multiple processors/
cores", but that's a view which is somewhat detached from the
practicalities (and favoured practices) of concurrent programming,
especially given the few guarantees Python would be able to provide to
make such a thing work effectively.

Paul