ANN: PyDSTool now compatible with numpy 1.0.1, scipy 0.5.2 and 64-bit CPUs.

michael.tiller at gmail.com michael.tiller at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 18:01:21 EST 2007

On Mar 2, 12:07 pm, "Rob Clewley" <r... at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Yes, that is a pretty fair description of our support for symbolics
> using Python's own inheritance. Our ModelSpec classes provide only an
> elementary form of inheritance, polymorphism and type checking. We
> hope to expand our existing support for hybrid/DAE systems at the
> level of our ModelSpec model-building tools. All ideas and code
> contributions are welcome!

It is a fair amount of work to figure out all the details for trying
to come up with a clean way of describing hybrid DAE systems for
usability, expressiveness, efficiency, etc (based on my 7 year
involvement in the 10 year and counting Modelica effort).  As a user,
what I would find more interesting would be a python implementation
that could import such descriptions and then work with them (rather
than expressing them in Python).  There is a ton of interesting stuff
in the area of UI, symbolic methods, etc. that is completely
independent of the specification side.  It seems to me the
specification stuff bogs down the effort.

By "outsourcing" all the specification stuff you can offload that
burden and then focus on python based tools for introspection,
symbolic manipulation, visualization, graphical model construction,
etc.  I don't know your ultimate goals but it just seems to me you'll
get their faster by co-opting the existing work.  Not only that, if
you interest is in studying complex dynamic systems there is a
mountain of stuff already out there (in the form of fully specified
models) that you can incorporate.

For what it's worth.

--
Mike