with timeout(...):

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Fri Mar 30 01:29:21 EDT 2007

 "Nick Craig-Wood" <n...k at cra..od.com> wrote:

> I'd like there to be something which works well enough for day to day
> use.  Ie doesn't ever wreck the internals of python.  It could have
> some caveats like "may not timeout during C functions which haven't
> released the GIL" and that would still make it very useable.

I second this (or third or whatever if my post is slow).
It is tremendously useful to start something and to be told it has timed
out by a call, rather than to have to unblock the i/o yourself and
to "busy-loop" to see if its successful.  And from what I can see
the select functionality is not much different from busy looping...

- Hendrik