Fortran vs Python - Newbie Question

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Mon Mar 26 11:12:50 EDT 2007

In article <1174916838.757839.143310 at e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
Nomad.C at gmail.com <Nomad.C at gmail.com> wrote:
			.
>> You can get the speed of fortran in Python by using libraries like
>> Numeric without losing the readability of Python.
>>

>Can you back this up with some source??
>Chris

Yes.

While evidence in computing science is ... well, the standards aren't
well established; still, I think you'll want to start with <URL:
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/279/5356/1525 >.  This
describes a supercomputer simulation that won awards in the '90s for
its performance.  The application itself is basically what Jean-Paul
recommended:  Python, with high-performance libraries written in C,
C++, and Fortran.