pattern search

Paul McGuire ptmcg at austin.rr.com
Tue Mar 27 13:58:02 EDT 2007

On Mar 27, 10:18 am, "Diez B. Roggisch" <d... at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I wrote a small gtk file manager, which works pretty well. Until
> > now, I am able to select different file (treeview entries) just by
> > extension (done with 'endswith'). See the little part below:
>
> >                 self.pathlist1=[ ]
> >                 self.patternlist=[ ]
> >                 while iter:
> > #                print iter
> >                     value = model.get_value(iter, 1)
> > #                if value is what I'm looking for:
> >                     if value.endswith("."+ pattern):
> >                         selection.select_iter(iter)
> >                         selection.select_path(n)
> >                         self.pathlist1.append(n)
> >                         self.patternlist.append(value)
> >                     iter = model.iter_next(iter)
> > #                print value
> >                     n=n+1
>
> > Now, I would like to improve it by searching for different 'real'
> > patterns just like using 'ls' in bash. E.g. the entry
> > 'car*.pdf' should select all pdf files with a beginning 'car'.
> > Does anyone have an idea, how to do it?
>
> Use regular expressions. They are part of the module "re". And if you use
> them, ditch your code above, and make it just search for a pattern all the
> time. Because the above is just the case of
>
> *.ext
>
> Diez- Hide quoted text -

The glob module is a more direct tool based on the OP's example.  The
example he gives works directly with glob.  To use re, you'd have to
convert to something like "car.*\.pdf", yes?

(Of course, re offers much more power than simple globbing.  Not clear
how much more the OP was looking for.)

-- Paul